In a time where loss feels inevitable and inescapable, we must learn how to take care of ourselves so that we can grieve and mourn appropriately and process our feelings. If you have ever experienced loss, you may know that the mix of emotions may include:
It is important that you know what feelings to expect during the mourning process so that you canlearn how to cope with these feelings instead of letting them consume you. Avoid self-isolation during this process as away to cope in order to avoid further decline of emotional or mental health.
Here are a few strategies to help process loss:
- Talk about the death of your loved one with friends or family.
- Accept your feelings of sadness, anger, loneliness, etc.
- Stuck or overwhelmed by your emotions? Talk to our therapists or other mental health professionals to help you cope with your feelings.
- Take are of yourself and loved ones.
- Exercise, eat healthy, rest, and check in with other loved ones who are also dealing with loss.
- Remember and celebrate the lives of your loved ones.
- Honor those you have lost by remembering good times, donate in their name, or plant something in their memory.
How do you live with your grief?
- Seek out caring people. Reach out to your friends and family to talk about how you feel and I guarantee you will feel much better.
- Express your feelings. Talk to professionals who can help you process every emotion that overwhelms you to make the burden feel lighter.
- Take care of your health. Continue to get your rest and prioritize the things that benefit your well-being.
- Postpone major life changes. Putting off big changes while in the mourning process may lift the stress around all of the sudden changes after you experience loss.
- Be patient. Find comfort in the fact that over time your heart and mind will grow bigger than the pain that you are currently dealing with.
- Seek professional help when necessary.Connect with our therapists to begin your journey on processing loss and facilitate your grieving experience.
Remember that there is nothing you cannot overcome!